October blog

 October flew by in the blink of an eye! It was nice to be able to transition back into in person classes. The benefits of being in such a small classroom is being able to easily make new friendships and make memorable experiences. I moved to New Orleans not knowing one person and I felt a little homesick in the beginning. This month has certainly strengthened a lot of new friendships for me and has made me feel like I now have a place in New Orleans. One fun activity we did was go to the Krew A Boo parade, it was my first parade in New Orleans and I had a great time. It's been a pleasure to get to know my classmates and I would like to get to know more of my classmates as the semester continues. 

This month consisted of the learning about the neuromuscular physiology and the cardiovascular system/autonomic never system. In my spare time I enjoy exercising, lifting weights in particular. I found enjoyment in learning about neuromuscular physiology because it gave me a scope of how my muscles work when I am performing strenuous exercise. The cardiovascular system was challenging but very interesting to learn about. The heart is not an organ I was educated much on in my previous courses so it was intriguing to learn about on a cellular level, not just the basic principles of its function. I am eager to continue learning about the cardiovascular system and go more into depth about different types of drugs that target the CV system. 

This month I volunteered at the Covenant House. The Covenant house is a shelter for young adults from the ages of 16-22. They provide a temporary place or permanent place to stay. This was my first time volunteering at a shelter, it was a rewarding and humbling experiences. Observing youth close in age in such difficult situations in life makes me truly appreciate everything I have. I volunteered with my peers and our role was to sort through bags of donated clothing and pick out the damaged items. We then folded and organized the clothing to make the experience for the youth as nice as possible. It was nice to see that the covenant house receives many donations. 

Time spent volunteering: 3 hours

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April Post

December blog

March